So, I recently purchased a Dell XPS 15 9560 (don’t get too excited – only the boggo standard one with core i5 and 1080p screen) so that I have decent hardware for work. I’ve upgraded it to 32GB of RAM, and yesterday, I installed a 1TB Samsung EV0 960 NVME drive in it.
Work have a policy that all employees should use disk/filesystem encryption, and that it should, in some way, be protected by a boot/login password. The question was, how to achieve same, so I can take advantage of the builtin encryption on these drives, and have it adequately protected.
There is not a lot of concrete information on the internetz about how to achieve this, and the information that is there is somewhat misleading. I guess this is because the tech is relatively new, and it just needs someone with a reasonable working knowledge to nail things down for people. So here I am.
Here are the important things you need to know:
- There are two forms of builtin encryption these drives can use – class0 and TCG Opal.
- Boot protection of class0 encryption is enabled by setting a HDD password in the UEFI/BIOS setup.
- Dell XPS machines don’t currently support setting a HDD password for a PCI-E/NVME M2 SSD, although they *do* allegedly support setting a HDD password for SATA based M2 SSD’s.
- The above means you can’t use class0 encryption in this hardware setup.
- TCG Opal encryption, when enabled with the drive locked, exposes a small partition which is used to boot a “shim” system that unlocks the drive with password and then reboots into the real partition/system.
- You need two things to enable it – sedutil-cli and the shim system (which is based on our old friend Buildroot).
- You have to disable UEFI secure boot to use TCG Opel in my setup, as the shim system (at least the one I’m using) isn’t UEFI compatible.
- If someone manages to steal your XPS off you, while it’s on, logged in, and the system hasn’t yet gone to screen saver, they will still have access to all your data.
- Using this will break S3 suspend.
I could’ve gone the route of compiling the cli util and image myself, and I did try this, but there is currently something wrong with the build script whereby it’s trying to download the sedutil package from an address that doesn’t currently resolve, and well, I had already spent a fair bit of time trying to get this working today, and I couldn’t be bothered. :P