As some of you on the G+ community are aware, I made a bit of a breakthrough with Baytrail last weekend. I’ve spent a lot of time this week trying to build the BOOT_STUB CBFS in such a way as to get reasonable behaviour, and I’ve gone about as far as I’m going to at this point in time. I think it’s probably best to list the things which are known not working, so you are going in with your eyes wide open:
- T̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶o̶o̶t̶ ̶m̶e̶n̶u̶ ̶w̶o̶n̶’̶t̶ ̶b̶o̶o̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶u̶n̶l̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶p̶r̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶k̶e̶y̶.̶
- T̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶y̶l̶o̶a̶d̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶r̶e̶c̶o̶g̶n̶i̶s̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶e̶M̶M̶C̶ ̶d̶e̶s̶p̶i̶t̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶C̶h̶r̶o̶m̶e̶O̶S̶ ̶S̶e̶a̶B̶I̶O̶S̶ ̶b̶r̶a̶n̶c̶h̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶a̶t̶c̶h̶e̶s̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶c̶i̶f̶i̶c̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶e̶M̶M̶C̶/̶S̶D̶.̶
- O̶n̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶d̶e̶l̶s̶ ̶b̶o̶o̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶S̶D̶ ̶d̶o̶e̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶d̶u̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶t̶r̶o̶l̶l̶e̶r̶ ̶b̶e̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶A̶C̶P̶I̶ ̶m̶o̶d̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶S̶e̶a̶B̶I̶O̶S̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶c̶u̶r̶r̶e̶n̶t̶l̶y̶ ̶c̶a̶t̶e̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶.̶
- Sound does not yet work in Linux (although the hardware is recognised, possibly a sound “profile” issue).
- It may have issues with certain models of USB stick, and possibly some SD cards too (although it was happy enough with the 2GB, 8GB MicroSD, and 32GB SD cards I have).
Having said all that, what does work:
- It will happily boot from many SD/USB cards/sticks.
- If you’ve kernel >= 4.x the mouse works OOTB.
- It’s more or less usable (except for the aforementioned sound).
Go, have fun, but most of all DON’T ask me to fix any of it, because I’m not a coder. Once some more code is added to ChromeOS SeaBIOS (there hasn’t been a commit since December), I will happily update the payload to see if anything’s been fixed.