Intermittent Website Issues

Apologies if you received a 502 “Bad Gateway” error when trying to visit the site in the last number of days/weeks – for some reason, without any apparent configuration change (although I guess there must’ve been a change in a default config somewhere) the server has decided to start resolving localhost as both 127.0.0.1 *and* ::1. What governs which result is returned, I do not know, but the PHP FPM backend is only listening on the IPV4 address. Consequently, when ::1 gets returned for localhost and Nginx attempts to connect, there is nothing listening on that address and port, hence the error.

I’ve since hard-coded 127.0.0.1 into the necessary config files, and the logs look good so far. Hopefully the number of visitors will stop going down now. ;)

Backpedalling

Another day, another slew of ROM’s. The evolution continues. Today’s is mostly about fixing things in the previous release (01/09/14). So, what’s in this release, I hear you ask?

  1.  I’ve removed the Intel framebuffer driver from Jeltka because Kernel Mode Setting doesn’t play nicely with kexec. Despite being a nice idea, VGA ROM independent Jeltka is therefore off the table.
  2. In addition to the automation and stability recently introduced by the script, having a separate coreboot tree for each base model (currently 12 not including the 2 ChromeOS coreboot trees I’ve kept hanging around after switching to upstream coreboot for Falco and Peppy), and moving to an md5sums file arrangement (simplifying upload and script maintenance), I’ve moved to having a “links” file for Haswell and Sandybridge/Ivybridge based Chromebooks, and using the same graphics id’s (0106 for Sandy/Ivybridge, 0406 for Haswell) across the board. This means there is much reduced chance of PEBKAC and ID-10T from my end resulting in ROM’s which don’t initialise the display (and leaving it to a Linux kernel to do it).
  3. The make process is now even simpler – make clean x 2, make, add choice of 2 links files, add Jeltka, upload.
  4. There will be *NO* Flashrom in Jeltka, as flashing with upstream Flashrom isn’t possible unless you’ve already used an external programmer on your Chromebook’s SPI chip. In lieu of that, I now recommend starting an Arch install to the point where you’ve setup the network, and then change VT’s to download flashrom and a ROM from my site. Similarly this is my recommended method of rescue, as the arch installer/rescue also has useful utils like Testdisk.

ROM Updates – 01/09/14

All ROM’s for all models have been updated. The main changes are:

  1. Subsystem vendor ID’s added to Falco, Peppy, Leon, and Wolf to ensure back-light is enabled by kernel > 3.15.
  2. All ROM’s now using a 4 MB CBFS with Jeltka as an ELF payload (this removes size overhead and other complications of floppy images).
  3. Jeltka updated to load the i915 frame-buffer driver (which means even if there’s something wrong with the VGA binary/ID’s you can still get a display by pressing ESC and 2 at the right times, assuming no USB device plugged in).
  4. Added e2fsprogs/fdisk/USB/MMC support to Jeltka (for basic filesystem/partition checking and manipulation). Be careful of Buildroot’s version of fdisk as it defaults to a first sector at 63 and DOS compatibility mode, and, if you switch it off by pressing “c”, fdisk will default to a first sector of “1”. This will probably cause problems, as most distros default to sector 2048 for alignment purposes. It means that resizing your filesystem will be tricky, if you forget to to recreate the partition at 2048, and it may appear that your filesystem is therefore b0rked!
  5. TPM conditionalised in dsdt.asl for any boards that have it, to avoid TPM being enabled and causing issues with suspend.
  6. I’ve made my own Panther/Zako compatible ROM to enable the 4MB CBFS for that model.

As always see the download page.